Reply To: Lesson 6 Assignment

Duncan Rawlinson
Keymaster

Hi John,

Thanks for sending in another assignment.

First things first, let’s take a look at the exif data on the image.

http://photographyicon.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/MemorialDayParade-3575.jpg

Date Time Original: 2014:05:24 10:23:27
Exposure Time: 1/500
F Number: f / 2.80
Exposure Program: Shutter priority
ISO Speed Ratings: 320
Metering Mode: Pattern
Flash: Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
Focal Length: 80mm
White Balance: Manual white balance
Make: Canon
Model: Canon EOS 6D
LensInfo: 70/1 200/1 0/0 0/0
LensModel: EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
LensSerialNumber: 0000000000
Lens: EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
Exif Version:
Color Space: 1
Date Time Digitized: 2014:05:24 10:23:27
Subsec Time Original: 00
Subsec Time Digitized: 00
Shutter Speed Value: 8.97
Aperture Value: 2.97
Max Aperture Value: 3
Focal Plane X Resolution: 1520
Focal Plane Y Resolution: 1520
Focal Plane Resolution Unit: 3
Custom Rendered: Normal process
Scene Capture Type: Standard
Saturation: Normal
ExifIFDPointer: 234
X Resolution: 240
Y Resolution: 240
Resolution Unit: 2
Date Time: 2014:05:26 21:37:20
Software: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.4 (Windows)
Artist: John Boccanfuso
DateCreated: 2014-05-24T10:23:27.00

You’ve done a nice job here of simplifying your scene and turning something seemingly chaotic into something simple. So that part of the assignment you’ve done really well. However, there are a few things you could do to improve the composition of the image and content of the image

For one thing if you are going to shoot something that is symmetrical go all the way and make it symmetrical. Break the rule of thirds if you feel it’s appropriate. Another option here would be to compose your image in such a way as to give more lead room. I have cropped a couple examples of other ways to shoot this exact same thing.

As always remember the fundamentals of getting nice and tight on things. Always get closer than you think.

One more little note would be when there is very strong horizontal lines you need to make sure you’re level. (notice the difference in the images I attached)

A final note would be to remember that in photography it’s almost always a good idea to show people’s faces. In this case you might have been able to get away with shooting in portrait and including their entire bodies.

I like what you are trying to do here and your idea is good. Sometimes it’s just a matter of working the scene. In fact I recommend you watch a video by Scott Kelby on this very topic:

Nice work here, see you on the next assignment.

Attachments:
You must be logged in to view attached files.