Assignment #2

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Well, if I’m being honest, I would have to admit that I don’t actually have one single inspiration as far as photography goes. It is something I have always had an interest in. I had been doing another job for a few years when my husband and I watched “The Secret”. The Secret made me realize that I wasn’t doing what I really wanted to do and what I was really passionate about. I sat down and thought about what I would really love to do and what I could do that even if I didn’t get paid for it, I would still love to do it. The first thing that came to mind was photography and I literally got goose bumps!

I have always been inspired by my grandparents and my family who love nature and everything about it. Photography is a way that I find myself looking even deeper into a landscape or family gathering or a simple stroll down the street and seeing the true beauty in everything! I am always looking at different angles and lighting and any opportunity to take a great photo. That being said, my inspiration comes from everything around me and everything that I experience.

Although I love all types of photography, I have realized that my true passion is everything in nature, as well as babies, pregnant bellies and weddings. As much as I love wedding photography, I am too nervous to endure the pressure of shooting a wedding, so I hope to get past that and be able to conquer that fear one day. I feel that we have so much to be grateful for and I am truly grateful when I am in those surroundings and feel so much joy in those moments! I love black and white photos as well as photos with a lot of contrast and they need to hold emotion or tell a story to really strike me.

In wanting to make more of a business out of photography, I find myself spending hours on the computer looking at different styles and different ideas. There are so many photos that I absolutely love, but I just don’t have the skill and knowledge to achieve them yet. I am looking so forward to learning everything that I can about photography so that I am finally able to achieve the visions and defined photos that I hold in my head.

Some examples of photos that may catch my eye are:
    http://www.widehorizons.com.au/images/open/lake/PeacefulWaters.jpg ,
    http://images.free-extras.com/pics/s/sunset_beach-1240.jpg ,
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2104433&id=610720903 ,
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1095716&id=610720903.

I am finding that the more time I spend engaging myself in photography, the more I am loving it and wanting to learn more. Who knows…maybe sometime in the near future I will find one particular artist who truly inspires me?

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Thanks for submitting another assignment!

The assignment reads as follows:

Lesson 2: Assignment Assignment Title: Inspiration

What you need to do for this assignment is write a 500 word paper (approximately 1 page) on a photographer or artist that has had an impact on yourself as an artist. In this article you need to identify 2 important things.

1. A particular piece of work they created which was of particular importance to you. 2. What theme within their work is of greatest importance to you (i.e. war, love, family, color etc)

We will review this assignment based on originality and perspective. There are no right or wrong answers. The aim of this assignment is to get you thinking about your own area of interest within the realm of photography.

This little essay is thoughtful and compelling. Given that you don’t have a particular photographer that inspires you I though instead of ‘critiquing’ your assignment that I would compile a list of photographers for you to research as that would be more useful for you now.

Ansel Adams
    Edward Weston
    Henri Cartier-Bresson
    Eugene Atget
    Richard Avedon
    Robert Frank
    Walker Evans
    William Eggleston
    Garry Winogrand
    Alfred Stieglitz
    Lee Friedlander
    Andre Kertesz
    Paul Strand
    Edward Steichen
    Stephen Shore
    Dorothea Lange
    Lewis W. Hine
    Andreas Feininger
    Robert Capa
    Man Ray
    Helmut Newton
    Robert Doisneau
    Alexander Rodchenko
    Julia Margaret Cameron
    Gordon Parks
    Ara Guler
    August Sander
    Alvin Baltrop
    Michael K. Brown
    Andreas Gursky
    Sebastiao Salgado
    David Bailey
    Ryan Mcginley
    Brassai
    Jan Saudek
    Hiroshi Sugimoto
    Willy Ronis
    Albert Renger-Patzsch
    Eadweard James Muybridge
    Mathew Brady
    Dan Winters

Maybe you’ll find some more inspiration from them!

Thanks and good luck!

Participant

Thank you! I will definitely take you up on these suggestions:)

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

😆

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.