Assignment 7: lighting soft and hard

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Tammy
    Participant

I took two photographs. My first photograph was taken at a campground near my home [attachment=1:1xvdymb7]_MG_7784.JPG[/attachment:1xvdymb7]at sunset without any added lighting, and the second
    photograph I used the hard lighting to emphasize the spiders web on a small bush in the woods in a campground near my home. I only used the light of the sun for this picture.[attachment=0:1xvdymb7]_MG_7824.JPG[/attachment:1xvdymb7]

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Hi Tammy,

Thanks for sending in another assignment!

I feel like it’s hard for me to know for sure if you understood the soft light aspect of this assignment. If you want to shoot another soft light image and post it here that would be awesome.

Don’t get me wrong, your soft light image is delightful, I just want to make sure you know the subtleties of soft vs hard light.

Your hard light is very hard so it’s pretty clear your understood that one.

On that image specifically you’ve got a massive lens flare which I think works in this instance. Just be aware that shooting into the sun directly can be quite challenging.

If you want an example of soft v hard light that another student check out the assignment Rissa just shot.

Btw, here is a video that talks about this in more detail.

Thank you!

Tammy
    Participant

[attachment=1:3iwb9u7w]_MG_7779.JPG[/attachment:3iwb9u7w][attachment=0:3iwb9u7w]_MG_7780.JPG[/attachment:3iwb9u7w]
    I didn’t want to use this example for my hard and soft lighting because I was waiting for my ND filter and I did notice the whiteout on the mushrooms. I did like the look of the mushrooms when I used side lighting of the sun and positioned myself on the ground so that the mushrooms on the tree followed a diagonal line but the mushrooms on the tree were out of focus and there were camping items in the frame. I felt that the sunset picture was much more dramatic however I do feel like I understand lighting much better now. I switched my ISO several times, used a tripod and also tried artificial flash fill but I enjoy using the manual controls on my camera so much that I only wanted to send what I felt was the best. I hope this represents the assignment a little better. I appreciate your time very much!

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Much better.

Just be careful that you can distinguish soft light from underexposed or darkness.

Some people get confused here…

It’s about the quality of light not the amount of light per se. I think you understand what I mean.

Nice job.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.