Reply To: Lesson 1 Assignment

Duncan Rawlinson
Keymaster

Hi Maggie,

Thanks so much for sending in your assignment. I guess I somehow skipped over this one by mistake so this took longer than it should have. Emailing was the best thing to do so thanks for that.

Onto the assignment.

Here is the EXIF data for the images:

http://photographyicon.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/IMG_9980.jpg
Date Time Original: 2016:03:27 20:30:01
Exposure Time: 1/60
F Number: f / 2
Exposure Program: Not defined
ISO Speed Ratings: 1250
Metering Mode: Pattern
Flash: Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
Focal Length: 50mm
White Balance: Auto white balance
Make: Canon
Model: Canon EOS REBEL T3
LensInfo: 4
LensModel: EF50mm f/1.8 II
LensSerialNumber: 0000000000
Exif Version:
Flashpix Version:
Color Space: 1
Pixel X Dimension: 4272
Pixel Y Dimension: 2848
Maker Note: 770
User Comment: 8328
Date Time Digitized: 2016:03:27 20:30:01
Subsec Time: 02
Subsec Time Original: 02
Subsec Time Digitized: 02
Shutter Speed Value: 6
Aperture Value: 2
Focal Plane X Resolution: 4720.44
Focal Plane Y Resolution: 4786.55
Focal Plane Resolution Unit: 2
Custom Rendered: Normal process
Scene Capture Type: Standard
InteroperabilityIFDPointer: 8592
ExifIFDPointer: 208
Orientation: 1
YCbCr Positioning: 2
X Resolution: 72
Y Resolution: 72
Resolution Unit: 2
Date Time: 2016:03:27 20:30:01

http://photographyicon.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/IMG_0013.jpg
Date Time Original: 2016:03:27 20:46:52
Exposure Time: 1/60
F Number: f / 2
Exposure Program: Not defined
ISO Speed Ratings: 800
Metering Mode: Pattern
Flash: Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
Focal Length: 50mm
White Balance: Auto white balance
Make: Canon
Model: Canon EOS REBEL T3
LensInfo: 4
LensModel: EF50mm f/1.8 II
LensSerialNumber: 0000000000
Exif Version:
Flashpix Version:
Color Space: 1
Pixel X Dimension: 4272
Pixel Y Dimension: 2848
Maker Note: 5014
User Comment: 12572
Date Time Digitized: 2016:03:27 20:46:52
Subsec Time: 00
Subsec Time Original: 00
Subsec Time Digitized: 00
Shutter Speed Value: 6
Aperture Value: 2
Focal Plane X Resolution: 4720.44
Focal Plane Y Resolution: 4786.55
Focal Plane Resolution Unit: 2
Custom Rendered: Normal process
Scene Capture Type: Standard
InteroperabilityIFDPointer: 12836
ExifIFDPointer: 2380
Orientation: 1
YCbCr Positioning: 2
X Resolution: 72
Y Resolution: 72
Resolution Unit: 2
Date Time: 2016:03:27 21:38:27
Software: Windows Photo Editor 10.0.10011.16384

Now let get into this.

For starters I commend you on your choice of a really mundane object. Many students sort of skip that part and just take a picture or something that is already interesting. So I’m glad you challenged yourself here.

I like what you’ve done here. You’ve done a few things very well. You’ve completely removed everything but the subject of your photo by getting close and using shallow depth of field.

Whether you did this all intentionally or not is unclear but notice how much more compelling the photo is. It’s the same trivial little apple and all you’ve done is change the way you look at it.

Notice this. Take a minute and really think about it. Everything can be shot like this. Everything can be photographed from interesting and unique perspectives. Use this as the start of the way you look at the world with your camera.

Now here are some things you could have done to improve this image.

The first thing that came to mind when looking at the image was that it appears to be a little blurry or murky. This could be from camera shake, shallow depth of field, your lens’ minimum focus distance, the relatively high ISO. It could also be that you have cropped the image very close. I don’t know.

What I do know is that if you’re shooting a still life photo like this you have the benefit of no motion. That means you can put your camera on a tripod slow down your shutter speed to nail it a bit better. You could also reduce the ISO and just ISOlate your f-stop to control depth of field. In this case I think F2 is making the depth of field so shallow that not all of your subject is in focus.

If all of this is too much right now don’t worry. It will all come together through the course!

I’d like you to try shooting this again on your own time. Not because you didn’t do well here. You did great. I just think this is a good time for some play and experimentation.

Put your camera in full manual mode and make sure the apple is in range of your lens’ minimum focus distance. If you don’t know what that is you can often look at your lens and look for the distance markers. The shortest distance will be it your minimum. If your lens doesn’t have that you might have to consult your manual.

Now make sure you’re also shooting at your lowest ISO setting.

Set your shutter speed for a decent exposure.

Now try playing around with just your f-stop. if you need to, make a note and write down what you’ve done for each photo.

Then refer to your notes when you import the photos.

Basically what I’m saying here is that you would benefit from a little play here. Play in manual and experiment to learn what happens when you ISOlate each setting.

Another thing I noticed with this image is that the vertical orientation of the image may not be ideal. Perhaps a square aspect ratio would have suited the subject better?

Most cameras filename systems can only handle the 1-9999 counting so don’t worry about it. What you can do is rename your files on import in Lightroom.

I have some questions for you, are you shooting RAW? What software do you have on your computer for processing your photographs? How many photos do you think you’ve taken in total?

Nice work here. I look forward to going through the course with you.