Photography Classes Online – Icon Photography School › Forums › Photography Lessons › Lesson 6 › Lesson 6 › Re: Re: Lesson 6
My initial reaction to this image was “wow”. This is a truly stunning photograph both artistically and from a technical standpoint. Allow me to start by pointing out some of the highlights of this photograph.
First of all, this is your best submitted assignment so far. You’ve done so many things right with this image. I’ll list the most noticeable ones.
1. Your tonal range between light and dark tones is magnificent. The whites in the sky and in the reflections on the rocks create a dramatic effect when contrasted with the vivid black tones in the rock and the small black highlights out in the water. A wide tonal range is necessary for a good black and white photograph and you’ve accomplished that with this photograph.
2. Your composition is simple and great. The 4 walls of your photograph are clean of any distracting elements and you’re objects and horizon line are well placed and balanced in an interesting way.
3. Considering you used a slow shutter speed, your focus is great.
4. The texture of the rocks is beautiful. Even though these areas are dark in exposure, they still have reflections coming off them that helps pull out their brilliant texture.
5. There is a great coordination between the shapes and texture in the sky and the shapes and texture in the water. Too often, the sky in images such as yours lack character. However, in your image the sky actually complements the primary elements of the photograph.
Great photograph! Keep up the good work.