1 beauty & Beast

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Participant

[attachment=1:1qvyo570]beast.jpg[/attachment:1qvyo570][attachment=0:1qvyo570]beauty.jpg[/attachment:1qvyo570]
    Is it weird I’m nervous about submitting my shots?..However I welcome and appreciate you all taking the time to even look at the images.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Thanks for submitting you first assignment.

Looks like you’ve also figured out the features of the forum quite well too. (or was adding the poll a mistake?! 🙂 )

You’ve submitted two photographs on your first assignment.

The assignment reads as follows:

Lesson 1: Assignment Assignment Title: Beast to Beauty

We want you to find something particularly boring in your home. It could be a doorknob, a remote control, a garbage can, a plain couch, tiles or anything else which you would rarely notice around your home. Something totally forgettable and uninteresting.

Now what we want you to do is to take 2 pictures of the object. Take one picture of it as you normally see it. Stand back and take the picture of the object with disregard for its relation to other things or any interesting elements within the object itself.

Now, I want you to get close to the object and see it with fresh eyes. How can you make this object interesting? What if you changed the lighting? What if you added something to it? What if you zoomed in?

What if you blurred your camera to make it more abstract? What if you put it in close relation to something else to make it more interesting? These are all just ideas, but the possibilities are endless. Now Take a second picture and turn this ordinary object into something much more visually pleasing.

Ah yes the wood pile. I’ve had to chop those things up many times so I know just how mundane they are…

So you’ve found something boring and taken a photograph of it… Job 1 complete. Now the hard part…

Your second photograph also accomplishes the assignment quite well. You’ve taken an ordinary item and made it look really interesting.

Here are a couple of places the image could be improved:

[attachment=0:1ionpwd8]woodpile.jpg[/attachment:1ionpwd8]

1: Focal Point
    This appears to be the focal point of the image but I’m not sure. It’s in focus and looks interesting but it’s a little crammed against the top left of the frame.

2: Out of focus
    This area of the frame is slightly out of focus. It probably should remain in focus as it’s quite an interesting part of the frame.

3: The lines
    These lines are certainly delightful. Another problem is that the photograph feels like it is upside down for some reason. Maybe it’s just me but it feels like it’s been rotated or something. Either way the lines are nice but the angle of the wood to the frame feels off.

4: Potential Macro Shot
    I was looking at this image and you might consider isolating an area like this and doing a macro photo on it.

Overall you’ve done well for your first assignment. Great job!!

😀

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Oh and I voted yes 😆

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.