Advanced Composition

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    MichaelS
    Participant

Hi there,

here comes the advanced composition. I wanted to create a dramatic and sinister photography, a one which causes a strange feeling without actually telling the whole story. Or in other words a one which insinuates something did happen and leaves it up to the observer’s imagination of what did actually happen (or not).

It was taken late in the afternoon in an abandoned house in Southern Spain. In order to use the soft light which came from a small window above I slowed down shutter speed to 1/40 (using a tripod) and maintained ISO 100 to avoid too much noisiness. I enhanced levels and colours in Photoshop afterwards.

I did like the small red leaf on the floor as it shows sort of a link to the outside world. So all on this photo is intended, the walls not being shown in total (leaving open what could in the dark), the big scratches on the floor (behind the chair and in front).

Cheers 🙄 ,
    Michael

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Hi Michael,

Thanks for sending in your advanced composition assignment.

I’m very impressed with your submission. It has a very interesting look and it’s beauty is subtle and refined. Your work has certainly progressed dramatically as you’ve moved through the course.

This photography is delightful.

Although it certainly has a eery quality to it and it’s a nice image I think there are a few minor tweaks to improve the image.

For one I can’t figure out what that thing is blocking the chair.

I would have removed that item (if possible)

Also, placing the chair itself in the light could have been ideal as well. Sort of like this:

[attachment=0:2jlkl8n0]green-chair-dark.jpg[/attachment:2jlkl8n0]
    Photo by crsan

Also if possible adding some smoke or dust to the air certainly adds an element of mystery to the frame and would catch any light.

Also I understand the darkness of the image but this is borderline underexposed.

Given all that the image is still quite nice.

I’m happy with the progress you’ve made and you are one of the best students.

How is your underwater photography coming along?

Kirk
    Participant

Amazing shot!

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

I agree!!! 😉

btw, kirk are you cheating LOL! looking at other students’ work?! hhehehe

i’m kidding of course, it’s a great idea to learn from the other students.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.