Assignment 1

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Here is the beast to beauty.
    Thanks
    Jaymz

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Great work with your first assignment. You’ve effectively taken a wide shot with very little focus or direction and you’ve found an element to turn into your main photographic element. Without this “stopper” in most cases the eye will just wander in and out of a photograph. The human imagination wants something to explore.

Your beast image lacks a sense of direction. I see sinks, towels, the ground, part of a garbage can, taps, bottles and an assortment of other things. I’m not sure where to direct my attention and I’m not sure what message is trying to be conveyed. Don’t forget, photography is a form of communication; a form of storytelling.

In your second image however, you’ve incorporated this sense of direction and focus. You’ve found a beautiful assortment of colors in the tiles on the counter. I think this image is great and you’re on the right track. You limited your color palette, you’ve focused your attention on one element and you’ve used design elements like texture, framing and pattern to give your image a strong creative edge.

My main recommendations for you are

1. Watch your framing. You seemed to go for a balanced shot, but the counter lines at the bottom of the frame slope towards the bottom left corner. This looks accidental.

2. Secondly watch your amputations (i.e. cutting off objects around the 4 walls of the frame). I have no reference to what the silver thing is on the side of the frame (I know it’s a sink only because of your “beast” image), and you also have a fraction of an object near the top left corner. I especially find that distracting.

Other than that great work. You’re off to a fantastic start. I look forward to seeing what you do next!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.