Assignment 1

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Danica
    Participant

[attachment=1:mk65q1my]DSC_0008.JPG[/attachment:mk65q1my][attachment=0:mk65q1my]DSC_0024.JPG[/attachment:mk65q1my] Please pay no attention to the calcium build up on my tap. 🙂

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Great first submission.

You’ve accomplished precisely what we hoped you would for this assignment. In fact, the only thing I find a bit unusual is that your “beast” image actually has some strong compositional elements.

I’ll review the compositional elements of each image that I feel you should be aware of for future assignments.

For starters (and you’ll learn about this in an upcoming lecture), your lighting is a little flat in both image. Especially when you’re working close up like this you should experiment with lighting. Even flashlights or lamps help dramatize a shot. If you want you should work in macro (close up) with a flashlight or lamp to learn about the dramatic impact that lighting has on your visual story. It completely changes the mood.

Please watch the following lighting tutorial video. Even though it’s directed towards filmmakers, the concepts are the same for photographers.

http://www.youtube.com/user/LightsFilmSchool#play/uploads/0/A6JFVHRwJwc

and learn about a more advanced lighting subject (color temperature) here

http://www.youtube.com/user/LightsFilmSchool#play/uploads/1/mwqNRqDx680

Secondly, I want you to be very careful with amputation (i.e. cutting of your secondary objects with 1 or more of your 4 walls / edges). You’ll be able to see an example in your “beast” image on both the right and left sides. You’ve amputated two counter top objects and this confuses your audience. Why only include a sliver of these images. Photography is a form of visual communication and knowing what to leave out is as important as knowing what to include. Try not to hyper-focus on the center of your composition and ignore the edges of your frame. The edges are equally as important.

Overall, these images are great. You’ve made a couple of small technical errors, but the good news is that they are easy to correct. I look forward to seeing your next assignment!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.