Assignment #1: Beast to Beauty

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Sonya
    Participant

Hi!
    I chose to take shots of my piano for my first assignment. Out of this batch of photos, I couldn’t decide which once I liked best so I chose two of them. 🙂
    [attachment=2:23ls7dd9]piano_beast.JPG[/attachment:23ls7dd9]

[attachment=1:23ls7dd9]piano_beauty.jpg[/attachment:23ls7dd9]

[attachment=0:23ls7dd9]piano_beauty2.jpg[/attachment:23ls7dd9]

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

This is a fantastic assignment.

You’ve taken the object of the piano and you’ve transformed it into an experiment in texture, lighting and shape.

Your first image that represents the “beast”, embodies many of the most common problems that photographers make. Most noticeably is the errors in composition around the 4 walls of your photograph. All 4 of your walls amputate (i.e. cut off) either primary or secondary objects and give the photograph an unintentional and unorganized feel to it. For instance, you’ve cut off the picture frame with the top wall fo the photograph, you’ve cut off a small part of the piano with the right wall of the photograph and you’ve cut off toys with the bottom wall of the photograph.

You need to decide what objects are important and include them and decide which objects are not important and exclude them. It looks like you’re working within a controlled environment where you could have moved your “props” around. Make sure you take advantage of this where possible.

Your second and third image however, are stunning. What I’m most impressed with is your ability to use lighting direction to draw out the subtle textures of your object. I’m also thrilled to see you focus your energies on controlling your image’s color palette which helps you organize and simplify your composition. Great work.

The strong use of lines and shapes also helps in your artistic composition. The lines help your audience’s eyes not only enter the photograph but also allows us to have our eyes very gracefully wander around the photograph and examine the different components.

You haven’t overly simplified this photograph which I love. It’s organized and easy to look at, but there is still a lot to look at.

Keep up the great work!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.