Assignment 1 – Beast to Beauty

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Lori
    Participant

I had taken several different photos of several different objects but I chose this one to submit. Thanks!

Beast
    [attachment=1:1cv1y6tn]100_7173 – 2.jpg[/attachment:1cv1y6tn]

Beauty
    [attachment=0:1cv1y6tn]100_7179 – 2.jpg[/attachment:1cv1y6tn]

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Great assignment.

It’s actually worth looking at and deconstructing both photographs to optimize the learning experience of this assignment.

Let’s start with looking at your beast photograph. Notice how you have a strong reflection of front lighting on the wall? It’s either caused by your flash or a bright light behind you. However, such harsh, un-strategic front lighting should be avoided if possible. In this case it washed out and flattened the texture of the photograph. It also looks accidental and therefore lowers the perceived production value of this photograph. As a general rule of thumb, if you’re using a flash you will not want it to be visually represented as part of the photograph so always be careful of how your flash interacts with reflective surfaces so you can be sure to avoid this problem.

Not only that, but all of the action in this photograph takes place in 1 layer of depth. Therefore the image appears flat. There is no foreground, middle ground or background.

However, in your second photograph these mistakes have been largely corrected. For example, even though most of the action is taking place in the same layer of depth, because you’re shooting close up, the shadows and interaction of the objects (i.e. the wall and cross) become more distinct layers. There appears to be more depth in your “beauty” image than there is in your “beast” image because of nothing more than your camera placement. Good job!

My only concern with your second image is that you’ve cut off most of the text on the right side of the photograph. This is called “amputation” and it occurs when photographers are paying too close of attention to the center of the photograph and therefore neglecting the composition around the 4 walls of the shot. in this case, the text on the top of the cross is clear and the text on the bottom and left side of the cross are more there for context because you’ve cut them off so early (which is fine). However, the text on the right is a bit awkward because you’ve included most of it and only cut off enough to make it un-readable. This is a little distracting the eye. You need to decided to exclude the entire object (or parts of the object), or exclude the entire object (or parts of the object).

Other than that, you’re off to a fantastic start!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.