Assignment 1 by Silvermyst part 3

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Silvermyst
    Participant

[attachment=1:15nxj642]5.jpg[/attachment:15nxj642][attachment=0:15nxj642]6.jpg[/attachment:15nxj642]

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Hello and let me begin by saying “wonderful first assignment”. I noticed you uploaded 2 other alternatives to this assignment. However, we only accept 1 submission per assignment. Otherwise we would have to increase the cost of the course to cover the additional grading. That is not something we want to do.

So I’ve removed your other two posts and kept this one because I feel this is the best out of the three you submitted.

I like this example because it provides a lot of teaching opportunity and it relates to light. For starters, both shots are fairly well composed. However, both shots have subtle elements that take away from the overall artistic and technical merit of these pictures. In your first picture, the white balance is great. Your camera settings were optimized to capture the colors in their best form under your lighting conditions.

However, in your second shot the color of light is warmer meaning that your white balance is off. In some cameras this setting can be changed manually and giving you a lot of control over this technical element. In other cameras you’re settings are limited to “auto” “indoor” or “outdoor”.

You have to remember, that the color of light changes depending on the location of your shoot and the time of day. It’s not a problem to exaggerate the “warmness” (i.e. orange) or the “coolness” (i.e. blue) of a photograph if that is your intention. My concern here isn’t that the second picture of the close-up of the clock is bad, it’s that the warmness of the shot was unintentional. What I want you to pay attention to is the color of lighting in each of your shots. By being aware of this you’ll be better able to manipulate and change your images to your liking. Not just accepting the default picture that you camera provides is very important. You have to learn how to control the picture and the light settings. Many photographers and filmmakers call this “image building”.

Secondly, the hard lighting in your first photograph casts very dark and noticeable shadows behind the clock. These shadows end up creating subjects in and of themselves. I feel that these shadows detract from the focus of the picture and look unintentional. They are distracting to the eye. You need to not only be aware of the color of your lighting but also it’s strength (hard or soft) and it’s direction. This will be discussed in a future lesson on lighting. But nevertheless, it’s important to start thinking about now.

Other than that, I think you’re off to a good start. In the next lesson you’ll learn about composition and be able to fix the few little mistakes that were made in these photographs.

I look forward to seeing your next assignment.

Silvermyst
    Participant

Thanks for your response on my assignment.

Actually the lighting was intentional because on the second photo I wanted to give it that “old time/old picture” feel. The white settings I do manually and very rarely use the point and shoot. I do see the hard shadows in the first picture, now, the flash was on when I took that picture at an upward angle, that clock is about 9ft up, tall ceilings in m house, how wuld you suggest losing those shadows while using the flash at that angle and without any of my studio lighting involved? Had all the lights on in that room when I took that shot, no flash was used in the second shot just the lighting of the room itself.

Thanks in advance and am already working on assignment number 2!

WOOT!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.