Assignment 1

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Anita
    Participant

Hi hi
    Here are my pictures for assignment 1. I chose my salt and pepper grinders because I use them almost everyday but usually do not pay much attention to how they look.
    Anita

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

I think you did a wonderful job with this assignment. You definitely captured the essence of what this assignment was about: Turning something ordinary into something more interesting.

I think you did a great job of a few things in particular so I’ll outline those things first. As you’ll learn in future lessons, color simplicity is an often overlooked component to good photography. In your 2nd photograph you do a great job of limiting the color range that makes it within the 4 walls of your photograph. This helps the viewers eye focus on what’s important, rather than be distracted by colors.

Secondly, you incorporate the rule of thirds into your work (with the line running along the bottom 1/3 of the screen and the main objects being placed off center. This helps create a dramatic feel to this photograph.

However, I do have one major thing I want to point out that we haven’t covered yet, but I want you to keep an eye on in all of your future photographs. I want you to pay extra attention to the 4 walls of your photograph. In this case you’ve cut off part of the pepper shaker with the right hand wall of the photo. Because of the abstract nature of the shot, it’s not terribly bad, but generally speaking, as a photographer you need to avoid “amputating” important or even unimportant elements of a photograph with one of the walls of the photograph. It’s distracting for the viewers eyes and it leads to disorganization unless very well thought out.

Other than that, this photograph is very well done. I’m excited to see what you’ll produce next!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.