Assignment 10 Landscape

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Finally glad to back on this again! 🙂 Here is another nice landscape shot. I wanted to capture the serenity of the location I took this shot at. I wanted to reveal a calm, peaceful vibe which I always associate with every photo I work on.

Enjoy! 🙂

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Hey there!

Thanks for submitting your image.

Here is the EXIF data for the image: Tree Meadow

Contrast: Normal
    Custom Rendered: Normal process
    Date Time Digitized: 2012-08-06 1:34:50 AM
    Date Time Original: 2012-08-06 1:34:50 AM
    Digital Zoom Ratio: 1
    Exposure Bias Value: -0.333
    Exposure Mode: Manual exposure
    Exposure Program: Manual
    Exposure Time: 1/160
    Flash: Flash did not fire
    FNumber: 5.6
    Focal Length: 190
    Focal Length In 35mm Film: 285
    Gain Control: High gain up
    ISO Speed Ratings: 1100
    Light Source: Fine weather
    Max Aperture Value: 5
    Metering Mode: Spot
    Pixel X Dimension: 3,872
    Pixel Y Dimension: 2,592
    Saturation: Normal
    Scene Capture Type: Portrait
    Sensing Method: One-chip color area sensor
    Sharpness: Normal
    Subject Distance Range: unknown
    Sub-second Time: 50
    Sub-second Time Digitized: 50
    Sub-second Time Original: 50
    User Comment:
    White Balance: Manual white balance
    Flash Compensation: -0.333
    Image Number: 3,080
    Lens ID: 809,275,918
    Lens Model: AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED
    Serial Number: 3674227

There are a few things worth noting about this image. First there is a great deal to like about the image. It’s quite lovely. Here is what really works in this image: It has great colour. The overall greenish look of the image is quite please and that’s great. The image also has a nice soft light feeling to it. This is also excellent. What’s more the image is well composed and nicely balanced. Including water in a landscape photography is great as well. So you’ve done very well here! Nice!

Here are a few things that you could do to improve the image.

First you could have eliminated the foreground clutter of sticks as they add nothing to the image and are a bit distracting. Next you could have planted your camera on a tripod, shot a longer exposure with a slower shutter speed and higher f-stop like f-22. In other words, maximize your depth of field to ensure the image is sharp throughout.

Of course to do this you’d want to be at the lowest ISO you can like 100 and you may need a neutral density filter to get away with longer exposures.

Take special note here of the grain/noise that is added given that you shot this at what looks like ISO 1100. This is only relevant if the image is going to be displayed in a larger format or if prints are to be made.

Also one more thing here would be to play with the reflections. Whenever you can take special note of the interplay of light, your subject matter, and reflections. It never hurts to play around a little and see what you get.

I’m not sure if I have bugged you about this yet but I’m really against watermarking images. Just leave your contact info in the ITPC metadata of the image. You can do this using adobe lightroom.

Overall you’ve done a nice job here. With landscapes it takes patience, the right light, and the right technique to create something worthwhile. You’ve done well here but to take it to the next level you need to keep practicing!

See you on the next assignment. 🙂

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.