Assignment

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Jack Oliver
    Participant

Until this assignment I have not really explored well known and inspirational photographers. One of Paul Nicklen’s photographs caught my eye. I am a lover of Arctic and Antarctic animals, even though I have come across very few, immediately was drawn to his work. He is an Antarctic and Arctic photographer, who aims to capture the beauty of the animals, and the action around him ,as he takes the photo. His aim as a photographer is to try and help people realize how connected species are to their habitat.

“I translate what the scientists are telling me. If we lose ice, we stand to lose an entire eco-system. I hope we can realize through my photography how inter-connected these species are to ice.” Paul Nicklen

As a diver when I occasionally take underwater photographs, it is very difficult to get the lighting correct and to be able to focus the camera on a moving object. I marvel at his use of the underwater camera. He may not use that many technical details but I still enjoy his photographs. Through his work he shows how connected animals are to there background.

I personally like the picture below because he catches the penguin just as he is about to break the water. I also enjoy how he has captured the reflection of the penguin in the surface of the water and he captures the rays of light as they enter the water. He also manages to capture the speed of the penguin through the air bubbles and the density of the bubbles in the water. This picture demonstrates his aim, to show people how connected animals are to ice, which he has the ice surrounding the penguin.

I hope I can capture as he does how connected animals are to their background.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Thanks for submitting another assignment.

What’s clear is that you’ve figured out not only what you like shooting but also a photographer’s work that inspires you! Both of which are fantastic.

If you can also work toward making people realize how interconnected we are with nature you would have done something very special.

Paul Nicklen’s photographs are quite remarkable. His website is here:

http://paulnicklen.com/

One thing that immediately struck me is this quote by Jim Richardson:

If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff. – Jim Richardson

Paul Nicklen’s work takes that notion to the extreme. He has literally gone to the ends of the earth to capture his remarkable photographs. What’s more once he got there he went even farther by going underwater.

In other words not only does he have great technical expertise but he literally risks life and limb to capture his photographs.

I’m not suggesting you do anything risky while learning but I am saying that it certainly helps to position yourself in unique situations. Be smart and be careful.

If you can walk away from this assignment knowing what you like to shoot and who inspires you, you’ve done very very well.

See you on the next assignment.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.