Assignment 2

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    fournier
    Participant

The photographer, that has created that drive for me, is someone that is close to me. I couldn’t seem to find the drive from one of the masters (Ansel Adams is a close second for me), it is what my special photographer has given me over the last few years. She is a local photographer. Her name is Kelly Roy, and she owns Kelly Roy Photography in Kennebunk, Maine. Kelly is a family friend, that I fell in love with her style of photography. Her work involves many close ups and focuses on family. She prefers black and white photos, but I notice more and more photos seem to stay in color. Maybe it is as she is evolving as an artist, or maybe she is getting drawn to the colors now. There are many of us that follow her blog daily, because not only is she a great photographer but a great story teller. She gives many of us a great amount of joy in many ways, either with her stories or her pictures. My favorite is to see her pictures, simple beauty to me.

Kelly started out much like I did. She started by just the enjoyment of taking a photo, at first it was just her family. She has four kids of her own, and they give her many special pictures of just them. Before Kelly went professional, she took the pictures at my wedding as a friend. It wasn’t long after that, with many compliments on my photos, I think it created an even larger spark for her. About a year later, she found a mentor and started focusing on her photography. She has really made a name for herself. Kelly focuses on family at all times. She has started to take photos of births. My favorite is the pictures of the babies within 10 days of being born. Kelly has created items that remember me of earlier works of Anne Geddes.

One of the things I love about Kelly is that her photos look natural. She has a way of making the photo look soft and elegant. She also isn’t a typical studio photographer, and more of a photojournalist style. She has done many yearbook pictures, and it has been fun to see her style evolve. Kelly is the type of photographer that loves to teach her trade. As I was starting to get more and more interested in photos, I decided it was time to get a new camera. I went to Kelly to get advice. She didn’t steer me wrong. I love my new camera, and it has created an even stronger passion in me. Kelly has a way of doing that to people. When I told Kelly I don’t want to be a studio photographer, she laughed and said that is what I said once. Maybe things will change. Every chance I get when I run into Kelly, I pick her brain on how to do something better. Sometimes the little words of advice go a long way!

One of Kelly’s main projects, that takes her time right now, is that she is creating a Father and Daughter book. She lost her father just before turning 20, and wants those of us that have our father around to have a beautiful picture to share with others. I can’t wait to see the finished project, and will enjoy the pictures I have already seen and new ones I haven’t.

If you are interested in checking out Kelly’s site: http://www.kellyroy.com or her blog at http://www.ksrphotography.blogspot.com

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Great. Thank you for sharing this with us. I’m sure many of our students will find inspiration in her work.

The strong textures in her baby photographs are spectacular.

Again, thank you for sharing!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.