Assignment 2

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Trishul
    Participant

Steve McCurry is recognized universally as one of todays finest photgraphers. He is best known for his suggestive color photography especially in international documentary settings. His photographs capture the essence of joy and struggle in his subjects. His most recognized work and one that inspires me is that of the “Afghan Girl”.

In McCurry’s images, you can see into the soul of his subjects. He achieves this by focusing on the eyes of the subjects. Looking at these images you can almost feel and understand what the subject is thinking. When I first saw the image of the “Afghan girl”, I was taken aback at the contrasting colors that made that image. But what was most striking were here eyes that also were in contrast with here clothing. The look she had reminded me of a cat that is not sure if it should trust you.

In another image of his taken in Bombay, a mother holds a child and peers through the window of a car. The window is covered in rain and the image of the woman and the child are fuzzy. However, the child’s eye is in sharp focus peering at you. You can see the struggles of the child and this contrast of a fuzzy picture with a sharp focus on the eye brings out the emotion.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Thank you for sharing that.

I just spent some time going through the portfolio of Steve McCurry and you’re right. The Afghanistan portfolio is breathtaking. The entire thing.

Other students who are interested can look at his work here

http://www.stevemccurry.com/main.php

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.