Assignment # 2

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’m really sorry but I could everytime i tried to attach my paper it would say “extension doc is not allowed” so i wanted to make sure you got my assignment!!!! Thanks and sorry again!

Lesson 2: Assignment
    Inspiration:
    By: Mollie Vaaler

There are many different ways to view the world we live in; however photography gives us that split second to freeze time. Once you have taken a picture, you have the ability to step back and see things and people for what they really are. To me, there is no better way to look at life and what goes on around us than through a camera lens. The picture will always give you the harsh and honest truth of the situation.
    I picked Edward Burtynsky for my photographer. He mainly photographs landscapes, as well as the effects that humans have on nature without even realizing it. Burtynsky wants to portray though his pictures the many places in the world that people would never get to see first hand, but he wants them to know they contribute to the day to day chaos of our world. For example, he photographs quarries, ship yards, recycling centers, ground breakings, gorges, and oil fields and refineries.
    One of my favorite photos by Burtynsky is titled “Rock of Ages #23”, and it was taken in an abandoned section of the Adam- Pirie Quarry, in Barre Vermont. To me, this picture is amazing because most people will never have an opportunity to see a view like that in person or even just for experience. It makes you realize how small and insignificant we are in comparison to nature itself. I believe it is important for artists in general to have honest work like this and many others, because usually, we don’t get the truth on most other subjects in our lives. Art gives us that outlet to show people what is really going on in our world today, but we express this information in ways that the human brain can process it all. Photography is, in my opinion, the most honest form of art only because it really does freeze time, and allows you see everything how it really is, or was depending on what you are trying to capture.
    Burtynsky really takes in the color and detail from everything he’s photographing in all of his shots. He zooms in or out on just the right section to give it depth and to really catch your attention. The water in this picture stands out because of its deep green color, unlike most water you would see on a daily basis, which just adds to the many details that make this, and most of his others, very visually stimulating. I can tell he takes pride in his work and giving people the opportunity to see such beautiful and deeply honest images. I admire his work and believe he is a very talented photographer.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Thank you for sharing this.

Story telling through photography is a goal of many photographers. As you mentioned in your write up you see themes such as man’s insignificant size compared to nature. These act as interesting reminders to us with regards to our place in the world. It’s easily forgotten by many of us who live in large cities.

As photographers first start out the idea of incorporating a story into their photographs is often a daunting task. However, as you progress in photography you generally move past taking pictures of the “pretty” towards taking pictures of “stories”.

I find it interesting that a lot of the essays in this section deal with visual story telling and visual messages.

Thank you for sharing this with us.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.