Assignment 2 by cjw

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Cheryl
    Participant

Naturally I’m drawn to landscape and nature photography because I grew up admiring the photos in wildlife and leisure magazines that my father subscribed to and I love the outdoors. However, any photo that stops me and invites me into the picture or catches that glimpse of perfection is what I most admire whether it is a story the photograph tells, a face, behavior, a perfection of nature, etc., more than just a pretty picture.

Serious inspiration first came while I was looking for décor for my new home a few years ago. I stumbled across a print that made me stop and linger in the picture. It was a black and white photo of a large live oak with a white fence and a gate that was open inviting me in. It’s simplicity and clarity caught my eye, and I wanted to just keep staring into the picture. It is called “Autumn Morning” by Jim Morris. Just like the morning of a new day that holds new beginnings, the gate is opened to a new path. That picture still hangs over my fireplace for inspiration. However, I do not know anything about this photographer or the quality of the photograph and have not been able to match the print with a website of J. Morris. I have also only found about five other prints of his.

Most recently I have enjoyed the photography of Carolyn E. Wright of wolves and the landscapes of Dennis Frates, although I do not prefer over manipulation of color. I’m attracted more to photographs that are natural looking, not overdone in Photoshop, etc. to look like a painting. I hope to become more and more inspired as I learn and become more familiar with other photographers and their work.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

hello and thank you for sharing this with us.

Now I would like to share something with you. You mentioned you admire landscape / nature photography and images that are not overly edited in post-production.

Please take the time to research the award winning photographer named Jitka Hanzlova.

http://www.suttonlane.com/artists/jh/images/ss.php?directory=.&currentPic=4

some quotes about here work

– “in Jika’s pictures there is no welcome. They have taken from the inside. The deep inside of a forest, perceived like the inside of a glove by a hand within it.

– “I went to the forest-hills early in the morning when the forest awakes. Standing there I breathed in the wind, the unruffled voices of the birds and the silence which I love. And then when I was concentrating on a picture, I stopped hearing the silence around me. It was as if I was somewhere else, like in a film. The forest started t move and, as I looked through the camera I experienced fear.”

(Jitka Hanzlova, quoted in John Berger’s Hold Everything Dear).

“The longer one looks at Jitka Hanzlova’s pictures of a forest, the clearer it becomes that a break-out from the prison of modern time is possible. The dryads beckon. You may slip between – but unaccompanied.”

I hope you find some inspiration in this artists work

I look forward to seeing your next assignment.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.