Assignment 2: Inspiration

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Nicole
    Participant

This is an interesting assignment. I must admit I don’t know where I was originally inspired. One of my favorite pictures is at a local Fred Meyers food court. There are giant close up photos that I think are close ups of different tree barks. I’m inspired by pictures that are crisp and clear, that have color, that are different. I love nature pictures and but just pictures in general. I love hearing someone be excited about their pictures, it makes me excited.

When I first got a hold of a camera, i was frustrated that i could never capture the entire beauty of the sunny day around me as i could not capture all the sights, sounds, and smells. I found that I was drawn to capture little snippets of nature close up. That lead me to photographing odd snippets of everyday things we see around us, indoors as well.

My favorites are crisp (sometimes blurry back ground and crisp foreground) and have several of the following: vibrant color, repeated pattern, nice texture, drastic contrast, dramatic depth…
    I see my photographs as not being appealing individually, but in a collection. the pattern, texture, and contrast in a brick wall. the clarity, color and pattern in stacks of recycle bins. the detail, depth, and color of a flower. the depth, color and shape of an orange plastic work fence. etc.

If i were to put a feel with my pictures, I’d say they are neutral or sunny feeling. They make you smile, they make you curious, they make you laugh. They are bright and cheerful.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Thank you for sharing this with us.

I found it interesting that you mentioned the difference between looking at photographs individually vs analyzing them as a collective.

I was in a small town (a slum) in Argentina not long ago and the homes are all made from scrap materials. Individually and close up they were nothing spacial, but as you leave the village and you drive over the highway and look below to the city of 20,000 homes that all seem half built, you then see the beauty in the creation by looking at the collective design.

Again, thank you for sharing this with us.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.