Assignment 2 – Inspiration

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I have always passionately admired the art of photography. Although I have great appreciation for any other form of fine art, photography is the branch that emotionally moves me more than any other realm within art. Long before I decided to try myself in the field of photography, I have been turning to the works of many famous as well as unknown photographers for emotional stimulation. I love to experience through the eyes of the other photographers the feeling of engagement and fascination; I love to be stunned by the power of a captured moment; I love to lose myself in interpretation of a still life.

It is very difficult for me to alienate only one artist that had an impact on me. From the top of my head, I can name a few photographers whose works deeply move me: Sally Mann, Dorothea Lange, Inge Morath, Jim Richardson, Annie Leibovitz, Anton Corbjin, Joe McNally… While I’m a fan of the whole field of photography and can be equally mesmerized by a glamorous portrait and by a photo of some landscape, I would love to learn more about “street photography”. I’m pretty certain that no one can be an admirer of this particular branch of photography and not be influenced by photographers, who developed a genre of a “street photography” as we know it today. I’m talking about Brassai, Robert Doisneau and Henri Cartier-Bresson.

“Street photography” is interesting to me for two reasons. Firstly, because I love to travel, and I believe that by means of street photography I can capture and keep my own impressions of places I visit for years to come and though photography I can share my memories with others. As for a second reason, I love to walk. It happens that in the past, I had an opportunity to live in several different cities and I found it somewhat therapeutic to walk around and explore parts of the city I would live in. I like to visually examine architecture, streets and sidewalks, parks and people. And I hope that with me learning more about photography and mastering different

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Thank you for sharing this with us.

I hope to see you experimenting with street photography in your upcoming assignments!

Best of luck continuing with the course.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.