Assignment 2- My Inspiration

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Kaley
    Participant

My inspiration is fashion photographer Nigel Barker. He was born in London and attended the boarding school Bryanston School. He was a bright young student and received A-Levels in biology ,chemistry and physics. He planned to study medicine but was entered into a model search on “The Clothes Line” by his mother. He continued modelling for 10 years. No doubt this influence added to his being one of the most sought after fashion photographers.

He is married to model Cristen Chin Barker. He has two children Jack and Jasmine Ines. He owns Studio NB in New Yorks trendy Meat Packing District. His photography has been featured in GQ, Interview, Lucky, Paper and People magazines.

In a recent interview he said “Be yourself beacause if you don’t no one else will. Confidence not conceit is a very attractive attribute… You have something to contribute to this world, it is up to you to take the first step.” I think these words are very true. Although he is a very intelligent and talented person, it is good to see that he doesn’t allow his ego to get in the way. I feel confidence plays a big role in being a good photographer, yet it’s impotant to remember not to be conceited.

Nigel is an inspiration to me because no only does he take amazing pictures but they are ones that you will not soon forget. His photographs are creative and current. He has such a wide range of work that is truly amazing. His photographs are edgy and unique.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrshawn/316378959/

This is one of my favourite pictures he has taken. I love the way he captures the power of the bull with the red sheet and the beauty of the girl. This photograph is mezmorizing and leaves you wondering how he did it.

I feel the theme of his work is people and beauty. Although he takes pictures of very beautiful people, he has the ability to capture their most beautiful attributes and to excentuate them. I really connect with his work because I love to take pictures of people. Portraits give such a wide range of opportunity to create a masterpiece. Whatever the surroudings you can take a memorable photograph with just a person.

I especially enjoy his work because it is modern. I can see myself doing more current photographs. I also love how he can take something quite simple and make it into something extraordinary. I also see such a quality in his work. That is something that is very important to me and that I strive to achieve. To create something great you must put effort into it. You can see from his life that he has worked very hard for what he has accomplished.

Here is a link to his website.
    http://www.studionb.com

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Thank you very much for sharing this with us.

I’ve spent some time going through his portfolio and I’m feeling very inspired now.

I look forward to seeing how this photographer influences your next series of assignments!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.