Assignment 3

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    fournier
    Participant

I had a hard time finding a movement item. So, I picked my ceiling fan. Not very exciting, but it will have to do.

The ceiling fan, I started shotting at 1/2000 and decided to send in the picture at 1/125. It shows how the lights are in focus, but the fan is in motion.

The other picture, is of my son’s dirt baby. I shot this at f/1.8 with my 50mm lens. It softens the back ground.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Not to worry. The images don’t need to be exciting. They simply need to show your understanding of the technical issues discussed in the lesson. In future lessons it will be helpful to incorporate both story telling elements and artistic elements to help dramatize the shot, but for now just showing your technical understanding of the subject is great.

In your first image you’ve decided to show the illusion of movement in a fan. You’ve done a great job of isolating the movement without blurring the static elements of the shot. That was the main object for this assignment and you’ve accomplished it perfectly.

In your second image your job was to provide the illusion of depth by using a shallow depth of field and you’ve also done a wonderful job of that.

From a technical standpoint both images are strong. However, the composition of both images could be improved. Try moving objects into different layers of a photograph to help provide a sense of depth. Think in terms of a foreground, middle ground and background. You can also use a shallow depth of field to isolate your main layer of interest, but having the different layers helps ensure your image doesn’t appear flat or lifeless. It’s not wrong not to incorporate layers, but it’s exciting to experiment with and a lot of new ideas will come to you if you think in terms of using three layers.

Other than that, great photograph!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.