Assignment #3

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Cory
    Participant

My first picture demonstrates a shallow depth of field
    [attachment=1:3ryu0rhg]100_5456.JPG[/attachment:3ryu0rhg]
    My second uses a slow shutter speed to show movement of the flags. Not the images i would like to submit, but a broken ankle has me limited to not walking to the place i hoped to get my motion picture.
    [attachment=0:3ryu0rhg]100_5510.JPG[/attachment:3ryu0rhg]

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Great work on this assignment.

This was a technical assignment designed to ensure your understanding of motion and depth. You’ve done a great job of showcasing your understanding of both aperture and shutter speed.

However, I would also like to look at these images from a compositional standpoint. What I really appreciate about both images is your ability to limit the color palette of the compositions. Your first image is made up primarily of gradients of white with black and gold integrated as secondary colors.

The only element of this photograph I would consider changing is the placement of the main object. The eye is immediately drawn towards the liquid in the bottle in the middle of the composition. I’m just not convinced that the center of the frame is the best place for that bottle. I also think changing your perspective (i.e.. either moving in closer, or moving back slightly) would have helped solve the amputation issue on the right side of the frame. I like the vertical balance in your photograph. The placement of the different vertical lines is fantastic. I would have just like to see the horizontal balance to be a little less “formal” (i.e. less centered).

The image of the flags, showcases your ability to show movement, and the composition is also very interesting. It uses strong lines and a lot of negative space. My only concern with this image is the exposure. The white in the flag is very muted and the overall composition is underexposed. Having a stronger tonal range (you will learn about this in your lesson on black and white photography) would have helped make this image more interesting and dramatic.

In the future, you may want ton increase your ISO speed in dark shooting environments. It will add “noise” to your image but at least you’ll be able to capture more light.

Great work overall!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.