Assignment 3

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Tammy
    Participant

[attachment=1:3kltk0x6]_MG_5129.JPG[/attachment:3kltk0x6]

Assignment 3
    The first photograph should be captured using a slow shutter speed on a moving
    subject which will create the illusion of motion within a two dimensional space. I took this photograph of my puppy getting a bath using a shutter speed of 1/500 and a aperture of F5.6 on my Canon Rebel XSi

The second photograph should be a shot of a shallow depth of field. The objects in
    your foreground should be in focus while your background should be slightly
    blurred. I took this photograph at a shutter speed of 1/10 and an aperture of F22. I feel that I should have opened up my lens to capture more of my puppy focused instead of just her back. I am going to continue to practice this technique but I am more confident about using the controls on my camera for changing the depth of field. I used a flash on my first assignment and you asked me to use the manual controls on my camera and I did that for the first time EVER!! Thank you!

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Hi Tammy,

You’ve understood the slower / motion part of this assignment very well. I can clearly see that the dog is shaking off and there is a nice little motion blur.

In an instance like this you can also go the other way, meaning freeze the action entirely using a very fast shutter speed.

[attachment=1:2dqk3azq]dog-shaking-off-frozen-action.jpg[/attachment:2dqk3azq]
    photo by soggydan

You’ll need to try your shallow depth of field photograph again though.

At f22 almost everything will be in focus and thus achieving shallow depth of field will be very hard. f22 would ideal for say a nice landscape photograph but it’s not great for shallow depth of field.

This would be an example of something shot at f22:

[attachment=0:2dqk3azq]landscape-photo-f22.jpg[/attachment:2dqk3azq]
    photo by jingleslenobel

Try shooting at a lower fstop like f4 or f1.8 Also, try standing farther back and using a zoom lens if you have one.

Let me know when you’ve done this!

Thanks!

Tammy
    Participant

[attachment=2:3qyh4ddv]_MG_5180.JPG[/attachment:3qyh4ddv][attachment=1:3qyh4ddv]_MG_5186.JPG[/attachment:3qyh4ddv]

These are my attempts at my redo on Assignment 3. My doggie wouldn’t sit still so I got some flowers to model for me. The first picture was using shutter speed 1/60 and aperture F4.5 The second picture was using shutter speed 1/200 and F4.0[attachment=0:3qyh4ddv]_MG_5181.JPG[/attachment:3qyh4ddv]
    This picture I used a shutter speed of 1/200 and F5.6 but I think I could have used F4 because it is a little too bright. I hope this better represents the assignment

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

This is much better.

Don’t forget that you’ll need to expose for the scene… You can’t always expose for the specific exposure you want, if you know what I mean.

Nice job.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.