Assignment 3-Movement/DoF

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

This lesson was pretty hard to understand at first! It took me reading over it numerous times to allow my brain to catch up…haha..I hope I was able to grasp it and apply it to these photos clearly. ๐Ÿ˜• ..I took the photos over a short period of time while keeping in mind the lesson, then went back to re-read and make sure they did indeed fit the assignment.

I look forward to your critiques! ๐Ÿ™‚

-Heaven

Participant

Are these that bad you are putting off critiquing them?? ๐Ÿ˜‰

I’ll just keep checking.

๐Ÿ™‚

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Ooops! ๐Ÿ˜ณ Every now and then an assignment “falls through the cracks” if you will. I’m not sure why this happens but I’m trying to figure it out.

I must have just missed these nice images entirely. My mistake. I’m sorry about that!

Let me get right to it. These are not bad at all.

You have to be honest with me here. Did you just shoot these using the automatic settings on your camera or do you choose some manual controls?

Either way is ok. I always encourage people to try to learn the manual control of their cameras but some people just don’t want to think about it.

Maybe you can let me know how in depth you want to go with your photography so I can better critique your images.

Thanks!

Participant

Oh, no biggie! ๐Ÿ™‚ I can definitely see how that happens…especially with so many assignments to follow up on.

The 3rd image..I’m about 95% sure that was on automatic setting. It was just a cool accident.

The first image, I believe I had it set on “shutter speed priority”…yet, since I am always switching to different settings to try things out and taking LOTS of photos at one time..I’m not for sure.

The 2nd image, I had it set on macro and adjusted a few things..including the zoom. I “assumed” the macro setting is an asset(if you will) to the DoF. I could totally be way off here..but that is my impression.

You see, I own a Sony Cybershot DSC H2…Which was given to me without a book, strap or anything…so, I am kinda lost on whether or not I am able to go in and change things in the menu. I have searched through the menu many times, but there is not much there to adjust or that I understand rather. Unless I am missing something?
    Anywhoo, I usually only adjust buttons(dial) on top of my camera and am very limited on what to choose from.(Twilight, portrait, landscape, beach, etc. options)
    Any suggestions are surely welcome. ๐Ÿ™‚
    I am working towards purchasing a DSLR sometime soon I hope..so suggestions there are also welcome!
    I want to go very in depth into photography(I would eventually like to work toward a degree, when my son starts school!)..I have always loved taking photos, yet have a hard time grasping all of the concepts. I have mostly just relied on my “eye for it” and editing abilities(that’s a lot of the “fun” part for me.) …I have been showing my photos for awhile now actually. :geek: https://www.facebook.com/pages/HeavenLee-Photography/10150139131100182 You can see some here!
    I joined this community to get serious..and am very determined to learn lots of things that have “fallen through the cracks” for me too. ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Thanks!
    Heaven

Participant

Yay, so I had a friend help me out..and I found a manual online (on a Sony UK site go figure..lol) I see that there is a way to use the manual dial to change some settings? I think I read that right…anyway..I would love a critique on these images since I did do them for this lesson..but if you think it would be in my best interest, I can take a different set while figuring out these settings that I didn’t know existed! I’m pretty excited to figure out my camera does more than what I thought…I thought it was just a regular old limited point and shoot..and dslr’s were the only types that you could set differently…but guess I was wrong…

Haha, and when I stated earlier I used “Shutter speed priority”..I was under the assumption that meant I was adjusting the shutter speed manually..only to figure out, I have to change those settings myself first and the dial is just a quick way to get to the setting you previously had it on. (If that makes sense.) I think my light bulb may have went off..at least I hope! ๐Ÿ˜†

Anyway, whatever you think is best..just let me know!

Again thanks!

Heaven

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

So these we’re shot in manual or automatic?

I’m confused!

(this is nothing new for me!)

Participant

Haha…Well turns out I was also(confused ).
    I thought I explained about the automatic and manual part of the photos in my first response. They probably were(shot in auto), except for the one being shot in shutter speed priority(is that an auto setting? and I am just being dumb?) and the 2nd one I shot in macro(I was under the impression that changed the DoF)

I assume I am just confusing you more since I was totally confused about my camera. I have found an online manual for my camera and figured out I am able to change these settings(shutter and aperture). I do want a serious critique and I didn’t know my equipment well enough, so if it’s ok with you I would like to re-do the assignment.

Should I post them here(In this post) or make a new one..when I am ready to submit? (If I am allowed to do so.)

Thanks!
    and sorry about all the confusion!

Heaven

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Every camera has it’s own quirks and settings so learning one specific camera will help improve your photos but it won’t really improve your overall photography.

I recommend you try to understand what your camera is doing and what you can make it do than the specific settings and modes.

Shutter priority usually just means you control the shutter speed of the camera and the camera sets everything else.
    Aperture priority is the same. You control the aperture and the camera controls everything else.

These are pretty handy modes for this assignment in particular.

You can use shutter priority to shoot a relatively slow shutter and achieve a nice motion blur. You can also use aperture priority to achieve shallow depth of field…

In your first photograph there is boy running toward the camera. What happened here was that your camera probably tried to autofocus and by the time the photo was taken the boy had moved so far that he was now out of focus. This is because it was shot at 1/40th of a second at f2.8 For that reason the boy is slightly out of focus…

In any case its a decent photograph it’s just in focus and that’s important for a good image!

Your photograph of the flower does feature shallow depth of field and it is sound from a compositional standpoint. You’ve focused the viewer’s eye on the main area of interest so that’s good and it meets the criteria for the assignment.

You last photograph features a boy on the move. It has a motion blur look to but the boy is also out of focus.

Achieving a nice motion blur photo is not easy. The best thing to do is to manual focus on your subject and be at a right angle to them as they go by. Having your camera on burst mode with help. Fire away and match your panning motion speed with their speed.

The main thing here is that you are playing with your settings. Play and experimentation is the key to learning photography.

See you on the next assignment! ๐Ÿ˜€

Participant

Thank you! That helps a bunch! I will be spending some extra time learning about my camera, rather than just shooting..I appreciate the critiques, and look forward to doing the next assignment with a little more understanding. Much appreciated! ๐Ÿ™‚

Heaven

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Excellent!

High fives!!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.