Assignment #4

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Deepak
    Participant

I decided to use a red filter to take a monochromatic pic of an outdoor setting.

Photo 1: Picture without filter (converted to b&w with Aperture 2.0)

Photo 2: Picture with red filter (converted to b&w with Aperture 2.0)

Photo 3: Photo#1 converted to monochromatic with red filter applied with Aperture 2.0.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Great work!

Thank you for uploading these three photographs to help give other photographers an idea about the subtle differences between in camera filters and software effects.

For starters I think one of the biggest noticeable differences between the shots is your first shot and your second shot. I’m not sure what the natural color palette you were working with was, but your first image without a filter has much more contrast than your other images.

Although you haven’t taken your black and white assignment yet, you’ll soon find out that one of the primary concerns of black and white photography is tonal range. While colors can separate themselves based on hue, black and white photography can’t do that. Therefore, in order to separate the different layers of your photograph you’ll need to rely on tonal variances. This means you’ll need to pay attention to creating a strong difference between light tones and dark tones.

Right now your first image (without the filter) is the image with the widest tonal range (i.e. most significant difference between white tones and black tones). There is more shadow and brighter highlights in this image.

Your second image however is made up primarily of grey tones. This gives the image a flat and lifeless feel. Although this assignment wasn’t meant to test your ability to see the world in tones, it’s important to discuss now so you’re aware of it. This concept will be made more clear to you in your lesson on black and white photography.

The only other comment I have about the photographs is that I’m not sure if I agree with your decision to put the horizon line in the center of the composition. It looks like you have such an interesting foreground, full of texture and natural lines. The sky is a flat tone and lacks shape. Why not make the sky 1/3 of the image and the ground 2/3rds of the image? As a general rule of thumb, you’ll want to make the more interesting component of your shot the larger part of the composition. This also helps you ensure your image has an informal sense of balance and abides by the rule of thirds.

Other than that… great work! I look forward to seeing your next assignment.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.