Assignment #4

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I had a lot of trouble with this assignment. I purchased a circular polarizing filter and have taken hundreds of shots with and without it. I am not able to reproduce the dramtic difference with the lens that other pictures posted have attained. The pictures I am submitting have a slight difference but not as stark as other shots posted. I am not sure if the camera has to be on a certain setting, but taking pictures of the sky/horizon look identical with and without the filter. Please advise with any advice that you may have. Thanks!

[attachment=1:1p57yrkl]074.JPG[/attachment:1p57yrkl]

[attachment=0:1p57yrkl]076.JPG[/attachment:1p57yrkl]

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

I do see small difference in the saturation of the image. Sometimes polarizing filters have a ring on them that allows you to turn the filter. As you turn it, the effect of the filter will become further (or lesser) exaggerated. Does your circular polarizing filter have that feature? You should be able to rotate it.

Also, when trying to deepen the blue of the sky try to position yourself at 90 degrees to the light source. Therefore the sun should be at your shoulder (i.e. beside you).

You might also want to experiment with setting your exposure to manual so you can deepen the blue by slightly turning down your exposure as well. It’s not worth jeopardizing your entire image’s exposure, but it is worth experimenting with.

As far as the composition of your image goes you’ve done a wonderful job. The image abides by the rule of thirds with your horizon line on the bottom 1/3rd of the frame. You’ve also incorporated depth by using strong foreground, middle-ground and background elements. This has helped you provide the illusion of depth in a 2 dimensional space.

Equally as impressive is your ability to control your color palette in a fairly large spatial environment. You’ve used mainly gradients of earth tones such as yellow, brown and green which together create a very harmonious and gentle tone.

Great work with this image!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.