Assignment 4, Circular polarizer

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Cory
    Participant

I used a circular polarizer to remove the hazy look across the valley. Although not completely gone as it was rather foggy all day, it is definately noticeable.
    [attachment=0:15oequ9h]100_5490.JPG[/attachment:15oequ9h]
    [attachment=1:15oequ9h]100_5492.JPG[/attachment:15oequ9h]
    I also learned that the polarizing filter doesnt seem to contrast as dramaticly in such a bright shot with all the snow here.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Very nice image!

This is your strongest composition yet and also your bravest use of space. I really like this image a lot, but I want to draw your attention to a few details that will help you make your landscape shots even stronger.

For starters, once again you’ve used a great color palette. This has helped you organize such a large geographic space. The composition isn’t cluttered or distracting. It’s a very easy photograph to engage with from the audience’s standpoint.

Balance and depth are more only concerns about this photograph. I feel that your horizon line is too close to the center of the composition. Because your sky lacks any interesting elements (i.e. clouds) it becomes “negative space” or “dead space”. However, the bottom of your composition seems full of interesting elements. Therefore I think you should include more of what is visually interesting and less of the “dead space”.

This brings me to my next point as well. if you changed your perspective to be closer to the ground you could have found an interesting foreground object (even just a small snow bank) which would have giving you a stronger foreground object and it would give your audience the feeling of “being there”. By getting lower you would have also raised your horizon line which would help you with creating a more informal sense of balance.

Look at the following image for example:
    http://digital-photography-school.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/imageslandscape-foreground.jpg

Notice how the sky only takes up 1/3rd of the composition and the flowers acts as a strong foreground object?

In the next photograph the clouds are very interesting so the photographer used more of the sky. But again, they used the ground as a strong foreground object giving audiences the feeling of ‘being there”. Strong foreground objects help landscape photographs come alive.

http://www.betterphotoschool.com/images/stories/site/landscape-09.jpg

I hope this helps!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.