Assignment 4 Filters

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Kate
    Participant

I used my polarizing filter to cut out the reflection on the glass dome

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Hello and great assignment. The use of the polarizing lens worked wonderful in this shot. It can take the reflective shine off of anything non metal. It’s interesting to play around with polarizing lens’s and water (lakes, puddles, rivers) and also on skies since it really helps bring out the vibrant colors of the blue.

From a technical standpoint this assignment is done to perfection. You’re use of the filter is very precise and it achieves the desired outcome. Would I would like to see however, if for you to play around a bit more with balance. Most of your photographs have had very “formal” balance with the main object placed in the center. However, I want to see you playing around with the rule of thirds and the golden mean. Try positing your horizon lines at the appropriate position and use the intersecting points of the rule of thirds to place your main objects of interest on.

So far, your composition has been very clean and professional, but you need to start playing with positioning and adding more elements to add some drama to each shot.

The only other concern I have with this photograph (and it’s a very common issue that photographers using digital cameras have) is that fact that you have one very small “burnt out” area. “Burnt out” is slang for overexposed. Notice right above the 12 on the clock there is a bright white light. It was probably caused by your flash but that area lacks detail and texture and it overexposed. Digital cameras have a hard time handling contrast and this is what usually results. Worst of all, you normally don’t notice until you’ve enlarged the photograph. I just bring it up because it’s something I want you to be aware about.

I look forward to seeing your next assignment.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.