Assignment 4: Manipulate Reality

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Nicole
    Participant

I was stuck at this lesson as I didn’t want to buy a color filter and have gotten busy. So this became an assignment pic by accident. But I think it fits the lesson pretty perfectly.

I bought frogs for my little sister. This one was so cute so I *had* to get a pic. It was at night and in our poorly lit bedroom. And, I figured that while i was taking a pic, I may as well practice shooting in manual.

But the pics were way too dark. The shutter was so slow it was blurry, and aperture was open as wide as it would go.

I took a pic in auto and noticed that it upped the ISO. DUH! So i played with the ISO and got it brighter but the color was kinda monotone.
    [attachment=1:188gfemb]DSC_0006.JPG[/attachment:188gfemb]
    While in the menu working on the ISO I came over a setting that changed the color, kinda like a color filter might. I played with the different colors and the high yellow made the beautiful bright green and pure black colors in the frog pop out and though the rocks are not as bright a red, they are not the focus and are still rather bright. I loved it!
    [attachment=0:188gfemb]DSC_0017.JPG[/attachment:188gfemb]

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

This is a very interesting assignment. It’s also not a problem that you used camera settings rather than a filter to complete the assignment. However, filters do offer an amount of flexibility and control that settings in a camera’s can’t offer. In the future hopefully you’ll feel compelled to start experimenting with them. Filters are also very inexpensive ranging from $5 – $20 for great filters.

I love what you’ve done with the color manipulation of this photograph. You’ve essentially reversed the visual priorities of the image. In the first image, the highly saturated reds upstage the slightly desatrated colors of the frog. Therefore, although the frog is the main subject of the photograph, the colors don’t help compliment this focus.

In your second photograph, you’ve managed to slightly desaturate the reds and turn up the vibrancy of the greens in the frog which aligned both your color and composition priorities to place more emphasis on the frog.

I like how you intuitively dew conclusions about how color plays into the direction and visual priorities of a photograph.

The only recommendation I would give you for this assignment, is to play around with layers and depth more (like you did with your cake photograph). Try using dominant foreground objects and get in close to your subject when it’s a person or an animal. By getting in closer you make the image more emotional rather than just aesthetic.

Overall though; great work!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.