Assignment 5

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    fournier
    Participant

This was the hardest one for me yet. This dog was among so many things, colors, and people. Her pink collar, black/pink leash, tan fur, etc. Most of the colors around her were contrasting colors, which I determined makes that items stand out. I needed to figure out a way to elminate some of the eye catching colors, due to the light color of her fur. I set the aperture at 1.8, to mute the contrasting colors to allow you to focus on her eyes and nose being the contrast. Now the blue and red contracts are not as evident and allows the focus to be one her nose and eyes.

She really wanted to eat my camera, but we got her to sit long enough to get this picture, that I need to send to her parents. You know all parents of a 14 week old needs lots of pictures.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

This is a very nice assignment and accomplishes exactly what was asked of you for this assignment. It’s a very soft image based on your content, composition and color palette. The tan fur of the dog and the de-saturated colors of blue and pink give the image a very gentle and soft look to it.

From a technical standpoint I’m really impressed with your ability to find such sharp focus on the dog’s eyes when using such a shallow depth of field. As you’ve mentioned, the dogs collar by its neck is out of focus which is only a few inches back from the dogs eyes. The technical precision of this photograph doesn’t go unnoticed. It’s also seen in your framing and composition. The symmetry of the right and left walls of the photograph is great.

My only 1 recommendation would be to be aware of your placement of eyes. I like what you’ve done with this photograph, but it does break a rule. It’s just important to know what rule you broke so it’s always a conscious decision and not accidental. Generally speaking eyes are placed in the top 1/3rd of the frame. Next time you watch a movie, notice they abide by the same rule in most of their shots. However, in your shot the eyes are centered, which doesn’t look bad, but again, I just want you to be aware of this.

Great photograph overall!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.