assignment 5 – colour and colour theory

Photography Classes Online – Icon Photography School Forums Photography Lessons Lesson 5 assignment 5 – colour and colour theory

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    audrey
    Participant

for this assignment, i tried to keep a simple colour palette while trying to capture a rather difficult subject – a busy bee

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Wonderful work!

This is exactly what was asked of you for this assignment. You’ve used predominantly analogous colors in the earth tone spectrum to help give this image a soft and natural feel. You’ve limited your color palette to green and the off white of your background color with the bee acting as a highlight proving a splash of black and orange. By limiting your color palette you have been able to effectively organize your photograph and therefore enable your audience to browse and engage the photograph with ease.

My only concern is how part of the plant is cut off by the right wall of the photograph. Notice how when you use a shallow depth of field you’re effectively saying “the content that is out of focus plays more of a secondary, contextual role”. Therefore when you amputate these object your audience is more understanding. However, when your objects are in focus or in the foreground you need to treat these objects more sensitively. It’s just that 1 bud that is being cut off by the right frame of the photograph that I find a little distracting. I know it’s hard to fix this considering your dealing with the unpredictability of the bee as well, but it’s important to keep it in mind nevertheless. That being said, all things considered I think the composition and framing is really strong.

Overall, spectacular photograph. Keep up the great work.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.