Assignment #5 – Monochromatic Photograph

Photography Classes Online – Icon Photography School Forums Photography Lessons Lesson 5 Assignment #5 – Monochromatic Photograph

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Water drop in monochromatic color scheme

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Another beautiful image!

With this image, you’ve used less space than in your previous assignment, but the image still contains very strong design elements.

In this photograph you’ve used two primary design elements. First, you’ve used a monochromatic color scheme and secondly, you’ve used line / pattern to help give the image shape.

The lines are circular and are caused by the ripple of the water drop. However, without this feature the photograph would be lifeless and flat. Those ripples are essential.

Secondly the color of the water is quite dramatic. It’s not a very common hue of blue and therefore it’s quite engaging from the audience’s perspective.

My only concern with this image is the image’s sense of balance. You’ve placed the main area of impact between the droplet and the pool of water slightly off center. However, it’s not quite at the position that would abide by the rule of thirds either. It’s somewhere in between the center and the intersecting point of the rule of thirds. I think it would have helped to pick one or the other. In this case, I think the image would have looked nice to have a formal sense of balance (placing the point of impact right in the center of the frame). The symmetry of the lines would have helped support the design of a formally balanced composition.

Other than that, great work!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.