assignment one!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Lizzy
    Participant

This is my first assignment.
    I have a bit of problem keeping my hand steady .

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

This is a great first assignment because you’ll learn about how to compose images in the future and how to change some of the technical settings on your camera.

For starters, the images are good and accomplish what was asked of you for this assignment. However I do want to draw your attention to a few areas

For starters, I see in your second image you tried to clean up the edges of your photograph by framing it in such a way that removed some of the distracting secondary elements located around the edges of your 1st photograph. However, even in your second photograph you’ve “amputated” (cut off) part of the lock on the top right side of the image. You need to focus, not only at the center of the photograph, but also these small details around the edges of the shot.

Secondly and most importantly, I think your ISO setting may have been set too high. When you are shooting with a high ISO number (i.e. 800 +) you will notice considerable pixilation in your images (you can change this setting under your camera’s digital menu). You need to shoot with a high ISO number in darker situations, but it seems to me that you had sufficient light to light the scene. If you used a lower ISO number (i.e. 50-200) your image will be much crisper and won’t show the same signs of pixilation.

Another element I want you to be conscious about is lighting. Notice in your first image, the lighting gradient on the door. The left side of the door is slightly darker than the right side. This helps create the illusion of a 3rd dimension. Don’t forget that photographs are flat and you need to communicate the illusion of the 3rd dimension through the use of lighting and depth. One isn’t necessarily right over the other, it’s just something you always need to be aware about. Notice how in your second image, the lack of shadow on the door makes the image appear more flat.

Overall, great work! I look forward to seeing your next assignment.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.