Assignment#1

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Bryan
    Participant

I’m having problems uploading these pics…I think it’s because I’m using safari. anyway, here are my photos, I may have posted my beast twice…sorry.

bk

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Wonderful work on this assignment. I see you’ve done a couple of things that have really helped improve your “beast” image and transform it into a “beauty” image.

The three major changes that are immediately exposed are:

1. Perspective
    2. Lighting
    3. Depth

What’s unique is that your “beauty” image uses a larger spatial area than your other image, which is uncommon for this assignment. Most photographers use macro photography as a form of simplification so it’s nice to see you experiment and challenge this process.

As far as perspective goes, it’s one of the easiest things to change, and also one of the most underused photographic tools. You’ve placed your camera close to the countertop which has not only helped exaggerate the sense of depth but has also given us a unique perspective. The “beast” image is taken from roughly eye height. This is how we see most of the world so it’s nice when photographers challenge this convention and try new perspectives.

The lighting in your “beauty” photograph is much more desirable in your “beauty” image. You have a nice rim light around your foreground object and that helps separate it from your background. You’ve helped draw attention to your foreground by making your background a couple of stops darker than your foreground. Great work.

Lastly, your depth is much more noticeable in your “beauty” photograph. You’ve used strong foreground, middle-ground and background elements where in your “beast” image everything is located in the same layer (i.e. middle-ground). The result in your “beast” image is a flat and un-engaging image, while your “beauty” photograph is much more 3 dimensional and engaging.

Great work on your first assignment.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.