beast to beauty

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I had fun i look foward to learn more and more 🙂

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Wonderful first assignment!

Some of the biggest changes from “beast” to “beauty” include

1. Changing focus to color
    2. Filling negative space
    3. Drawing out texture

You’ve done this simply by changing either your zoom or your position as the photographer. One of the biggest improvements has to do with your removal of the ‘dead space” around your main object. White walls aren’t particularly interesting and I felt the desire to get closer to see the beads and necklaces. Your “beauty” photograph is a huge improvement.

I did just however point out many of my concerns with macro photography in a previous session and I want to include the same thoughts for you to consider below:

Our main object for this assignment was seeing how you approached the process of simplification and story telling focus. You’ve done a great job of this by simply changing your composition and using less geographic space.

The result is that you’ve successfully organized the lines, shapes and colors to look harmonious and organized. There is now no doubt as to what the story of this image is about.

However, it’s also important to know (and slowly work towards) simplifying photographs without needing to shrink space by using macro photography. That being said, it’s important to know what so appealing about macro photography so when you start to feel more comfortable moving back and using larger areas you’ll know what to look for.

One of the biggest enhancements in your beauty composition is your use of colors and textures

The second biggest change has to do with depth. Even thought your “beast” image has more depth, the “beauty” image has a stronger sense of foreground, middle-ground and background because of your close positioning.

However, notice the following photograph:

http://www.karltaylorphotographycourses.co.uk/clientpics/Landscape_VXND00663a.jpg

Notice the sense of depth and color simplicity? This is what I mean by identifying what you’re drawn towards in macro photography but then taking the time to step back in an attempt to find similar visual cues in larger geographic space.

Looking forward to seeing your next assignment!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.