Beast to beauty

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Debra
    Participant

I’ve tried a more abstract approach. I was interested in the reflections at the top of the image. I’ve tried some digital editing, I’ve added some blues and violets in this composition. I’m still a bit of a novice but it’s my best go.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Great start to the course!

You’ve incorporated many great design elements into the composition. You’ll be learning about some of the details I’ll discuss in this review in later assignments, so I won’t go into technical detail on each element (because the lectures will serve as a better resource), but I will make you aware of the strengths of the photograph.

For starters, and possibly most importantly, you’ve transformed a disorganized space into as space with a focus. In your “beast” photograph it’s easy for your audience’s eyes to wander into your composition and then leave quickly as there is no 1 object or idea that grabs their interest. Not only that, but in your “beast” photograph the composition (especially around the 4 walls of the frame) is poorly designed. Some of your secondary objects suffer from severe amputation (i.e. cutting off of an object with 1 or more of the 4 walls of your frame).

However, this same problem isn’t present in your “beauty” photograph. Your ‘beauty” photograph is much stronger in both its composition and design. You have incorporated a stronger sense of focus (i.e. the charger and wire) and you’ve cleaned up your 4 walls around the edge of your frame. You’ve also incorporated a stronger sense of depth by using a strong foreground object. This helps support the illusion of three dimensions.

The element I love most however, is the wire that you’ve used as a leading line, coming in from the bottom-left corner, that helps to guide your audience’s eyes into the composition and direct them towards the main object of interest.

Great work on your first assignment!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.