Beast to Beauty

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    sousa
    Participant

Attached are my Assignment One photos.

After looking at the Beauty photo I wanted to retake it on a black background… but my subject melted and lost its color.

A. de Sousa

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Wonderful first assignment.

What I love about this image is that there is still so much potential in the idea that you’re working with.

I gather that you’re interested not so much in the story of the object, but instead in the form of the objects. Lines, shapes, colors and textures were your primary focus. Which is great and I hope to provide you with a few ideas for your next assignment.

You’ve chosen to simplify your image in your “beauty” shot. You’ve done a wonderful job of that but I think you could strongly enhance the photograph with 1 simple change. Your object is FULL of potential in the realm of texture. There are small textural possibilities in its moisture, lines and shadows that could be drawn out and made more prominent. For this you’ll need to focus on lighting.

Overhead lighting and front lighting kill the texture in a photograph. What you need to experiment with is side lighting. Try using flashlights or lamps in a dark room if that’s all you have. You’ll find that when you have full control over your lighting intensity and direction that pulling out texture is a lot of fun.

Please watch the following lighting tutorial on direction and color.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6JFVHRwJwc&feature=channel_page

Even though the video is directed towards filmmakers, the same ideas apply to photographers as well.

Enjoy!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.