Beauty and Beast

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Rachel
    Participant

This is my first assignment. I love taking pictures but I am really learning about all of this for the first time. Hope its what your looking for.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Great assignment!

This is exactly what we’re looking for. You’ve taken two photographs, both of which have various strengths, but your “beauty” is an improvement for your beast.

What I like most about this assignment, is that you’ve actually chosen not to play with macro photography to make your shot more interesting. Working in smaller scale give you as the photographer the opportunity to have more control over the composition. However, close up or macro photography, although easier to compose, has many limitations. For example, it’s harder to tell a more complicated story, it’s more difficult to provide context and it shows a lack of bravery in composing scenes with larger geographic spaces. It’s not wrong to compose close ups or macro photographs, but you’ll soon start to feel limited.

With this assignment, you’ve shown your ability to think in larger scale. Your “beauty” photograph uses a much larger geographic space than your “beast” photograph. I like to see the photography students ability to work “outwards” rather than “inwards”. Great work.

I also like how you’ve used the leaf of the plant as a leading line. A leading line (as you’ll learn in an upcoming lesson), is a line that draws the viewer’s eye into a photograph. They are generally most effective when they come from the lower left corner, but they often successfully come from the lower right corner as well.

I also like your monochromatic color palette. Using color is one of the most difficult ways, but also one of the most effective ways to simplify a photograph.

Overall, I really enjoyed this photograph. For future assignment, I want you not only to focus on the technical elements of the craft, but try to incorporate some type of a story as well. It doesn’t need to be your next assignment, or the one after, but I want you to start thinking about visual story telling.

Great work!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.