black and white

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Participant

here is a low key b/w photo of a statue with an extended shadow.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Thanks for your submission. I will post a critique within 24 hours.

Thanks.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

This is a very nice image.

You’ve accomplished goals of the assignment which are as follows:

Lesson 9: Assignment
    Assignment Title: Time to See in Tones

This will be an assignment which will challenge you as a black and white photographer. For this assignment create a black and white photograph with the following characteristics

1. A wide tonal range
    2. An uneven tonal balance which is unevenly slanted towards the black end of the spectrum making the photograph appear low key (dark).

You can have gray tones as well but the majority of your picture should be black tones with small amounts of white highlights.

This has both a wide tonal range, and an uneven tonal balance that is slanted to the black end of the spectrum.

In terms of improving this image the first thing that comes to mind is all the photos I’ve taken of statues over the years. I’ve never taken a photograph of a statue in 15+ years that is interesting.

This photo is somewhat interesting but just be aware that taking photographs of inanimate objects like statues can often bore the person looking at your image.

I know this is just an image for an assignment on the photography school here but always try to make interesting images. Even if you’re just trying to get through the course.

Then again, I’ll put my ‘foot in my mouth’ here a bit because here are some of the interesting photos of statues on flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=statue&l=4&ss=2&s=int

Either way I think you get my point…

On a technical note be aware of how sharp your images are. Take a look at this image at 100% size. You’ll note it’s not as sharp as it could be. This only really matters if you want to blow this image up for a print or viewing on a large screen. Always try to make your images tack sharp if you can.

Nice work on this. It is a nice image!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.