Black & White

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    erja kaikkonen
    Participant

Hi Duncan, I got stuck in the previous assignment (lesson 8), I just cannot find inspiration.. if you remember, in the first lessons when we discussed what style of photography we like, I already stated that I don’t like staged photos as I like to document.. so I am finding difficulties in completing the assignment for lesson 8. I will eventually submit something, don’t worry, but did not want to slow down my progress any longer so I hope you don’t mind me submitting this black & white assignment now. 🙂

This is what I came up with. Hope it meets the criteria.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Hi Erja,

This certainly meets the criteria for this assignment but my issue with this image is that it’s a photograph of someone else’s piece of art. It sort feels derivative to me. Maybe I’m mistaken. Maybe you can explain to me why this is of interest. It certainly meets the requirements of the assignment but I was hoping for more from you.

Your ISO on this image is so high (3200?) that the image is very grainy. There is no need for that much grain/noise.

It’s also borderline out of focus.

You can do better! 😉

erja kaikkonen
    Participant

Thanks, I know what you mean about the lamp being someone else’s piece of art, although it does look very different in colour (it is bright yellow). It is just that I have a few items at home for which I have a strong emotional connection, they are me, my home (and in an unstable lifestyle, it kind of matters) so I thought I’d get away with it. 😉 But of course no one else can know about my emotional connection. I’ll try to find something else.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Try to make sure your photos stand on their own.

Assume the viewer knows nothing…

Keep up the great work.

erja kaikkonen
    Participant

Ok, here I am with a new attempt. I was experimenting with B&W photography a couple of weeks ago in Madrid. Would be great to have your feedback. Thanks again!

[attachment=1:1uxz4lco]IMG_0990.JPG[/attachment:1uxz4lco]

[attachment=0:1uxz4lco]IMG_0993.JPG[/attachment:1uxz4lco]

[attachment=2:1uxz4lco]IMG_0875.JPG[/attachment:1uxz4lco]

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Your images here are nice but take a minute to see how the last of these three images is more interesting than the rest.

There is good tonal range and the subject is interesting and unique.

Nobody has ever seen something like this. It’s unique.

Nice job.

Keep shooting my friend!!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.