B&W in the boudoir!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Amy
    Participant

Okay, so I’m skipping lesson 8 while I’m getting inspired….I went into this past weekend’s photo shoot with the lighting and B&W lessons in mind, so I hope you don’t mind one session pulling double duty! (I promise to get my camera out of ISO 400 for the next assignment!). I amputated her head on purpose to give it a more “artsy” feel; I also really wanted to highlight the beauty of her pregnancy. I chose this photo for B&W because I felt that the models dark lingerie (yes, I have a photo release!) and soft lighting on her skin gave great tonal range….let’s hope you agree!

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Hey Amy,

I’m not too worried about the rules or which lesson happens when…

This is a nice image and you’ve certainly managed to capture a very nice and wide tonal range.

The background is very clean and simple and the image is really quite nice.

One challenge in these situations is to have a complete loss of detail in the darks. You really have to be careful with your exposure and the amount of light you’re working with.

Of course you may often want the darks to be very dark if not totally black.

In this case we’re losing detail on the dark side of your model and her back is a bit muddled with the pattern on the wall in the BKG.

I appreciate your desire to make this image more artsy but there is almost nothing people find more interesting than faces. Faces in portraits can really make for wonderful images.

Watch your depth of field here as well. It looks as though you’re losing some focus on the far side of the subject.

Whatever the case you’ve shot a lovely portrait.

Just get your camera off ISO 400 and Auto White Balance! 😉

See you on the next one.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.