Chinese Lantern

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I focused on the Chinese lantern hanging above my roommates’ desk. It’s pretty boring against the white wall, but when I got on its level and moved in closer, it got much more interesting.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Hi there,

We’ll get back to you on this within 24-48 hours.

Thanks for submitting your assignment!!

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Thanks for submitting your assignment!

The assignment:

We want you to find something particularly boring in your home. It could be a doorknob, a remote control, a garbage can, a plain couch, tiles or anything else which you would rarely notice around your home. Something totally forgettable and uninteresting.

Now what we want you to do is to take 2 pictures of the object. Take one picture of it as you normally see it. Stand back and take the picture of the object with disregard for its relation to other things or any interesting elements within the object itself.

Now, I want you to get close to the object and see it with fresh eyes. How can you make this object interesting? What if you changed the lighting? What if you added something to it? What if you zoomed in? What if you blurred your camera to make it more abstract? What if you put it in close relation to something else to make it more interesting? These are all just ideas, but the possibilities are endless. Now Take a second picture and turn this ordinary object into something much more visually pleasing.

Now what we want you to do is upload these pictures to our online student workspace.

You have submitted two photographs.

Your first photo shows how entirely forgettable the chinese lantern could be when you just pass it by.

Your second photograph illustrates how interesting any mundane item could be when viewed through the eye of a photographer.

You’ve done exceedingly well for your first assignment.

You’ve even composed your ‘beauty’ image nicely.

The idea behind this assignment is to get you thinking like this all the time, even when you’re not shooting. (but you are shooting all the time right?!)

If you can use this point of view all the time and think this way the world is opens itself up to you and becomes MUCH more photogenic. Even the most mundane and boring things can become portfolio quality photographs if you think this way.

What this also does is remove the technical and equipment elements of photography.

If you can see the world this way you’ll be able to take better images no matter what the technique or equipment.

I look forward to your work in our course given your first ‘beauty’ image was so solid! Nice work.

Sorry for any delay in posting the critique.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.