color

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Naomi
    Participant

The colors in the bottom picture are not exactly complementary. The top picture is, but I don’t know how to clean up the top right corner – that will have to wait until I learn photoshop.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Great work. I’m going to focus the review on the photograph with the boats. This photograph is very well composed and you’ve followed the instructions of the assignment well. The blue is complimentary to the yellow. Likewise, both the blue and yellow are highly saturated which makes your photograph look dramatic and bright, rather than soft and gentle. One isn’t better than the other, it’s just often rare to find such highly saturated natural colors.

The great thing about this photograph is that you’ve used shapes, lines, color and texture as your primary elements. The rust, the wood planks and the chipped paint all help to add an interesting texture to this photograph. This is the most textured photograph you’ve submitted so far. Texture is an important part of a photograph. It helps bring the photograph to life seeing small details in dimension in such small details. It helps us go beyond viewing. It helps us stimulate our touch senses.

The use of lines in the photograph are great. The hulls of the yellow boat and the shape of the blue boat all help to create a well organized and structured photograph.

You’re starting to get more comfortable with the rules of composition and the technical components of photography. Now what I want you to focus on is story telling. Photography is a type of visual story telling. Think of a message and try to communicate that through your photographs.

Overall, great work!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.