Color theory

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

The first photo – Hong Kong’s skyline at dusk – seeks to create a sense of harmony by putting together a set of analogous cold colors, while the second one – a hamlet in Norway – brings together complementary colors (mostly bright red vs greens and grays) so as to create a more dramatic effect.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

I doubt that you’ve flown from hong kong to norwar during this assignment!!!

You’re cheating 😉 😉

Seriously though, if you could please go out wherever you are now and shoot this assignment. You’ll learn more from the course if you shoot photos specifically for the assignments.

It’s a challenge to you for me!

If not just let me know and I will critique these two.

Thanks.

Participant

got it, will re-post the assignment soon 🙂 😉

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Thanks! I think it’s best for you this way.

Participant

here we go, i took the photo of the yellow leaves just outside my flat during one of these bright autumn days.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Thanks for submitting your photograph for assignment #5.

The assignment reads as follows:

Lesson 5: Assignments Assignment Title: Simply Color
    This assignment will have you prove that you understand how to simplify a photograph using color as your primary element. You can choose to use any type of color simplification process but the point is to limit the array of colors which make it into your photograph. You can choose to shoot a color highlight photograph, a monochromatic photograph or a photograph which uses just analogous colors or complimentary colors. The point is that you just don’t point and click at any colors you wish. See colors in your world and know how to separate them to create a visually appealing photograph.

This is a delightful image. It’s always nice to see the fall colors in peoples photographs.

As always there is room for improvement in this image.

Here are some notes:

[attachment=0:9hxvkuec]analagous-color-leaves-1.jpg[/attachment:9hxvkuec]

#1:
    The first thing I noticed was this ‘amputated’ tree. Always be aware of items on the edge of the frame that are cut off. Especially when people are in the shot. In this case it’s not so bad because this is a landscape shot but it does feel a bit ‘off’.

#2:
    There are quite a few white spots in this image that detract from overall feel of the image. If you’re looking for uniformity in the image you should avoid spots like this. This is a monochromatic image and the spots don’t fit the feeling.

#3:
    I’m not sure what lens you we’re using on this but you’ve got some serious blur around the edges of the frame.

The color is nice but I would’ve liked if you had used more than one type of color.

Either way I know that you understand the point of the assignment and that’s all that matters.

Thanks!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.