Composition: Simplify your world

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Tammy
    Participant

[attachment=2:1tc53u1j]_MG_7693.JPG[/attachment:1tc53u1j][attachment=1:1tc53u1j]_MG_7695.JPG[/attachment:1tc53u1j][attachment=0:1tc53u1j]_MG_7691.JPG[/attachment:1tc53u1j]

The first picture I used implied lines. The trees frame the pictures and the fence provides a horizontal line which represents calmness. This picture is very relaxing to look at. The second picture I tried to use the “triangle” theory. The gravestone in the forefront starts high and the eye moves to the flag which continues to the second gravestone. Both gravestones are for military soldiers that gave their lives for their country. My son has been in the U.S. Navy for 7 years so this is very close to my heart. The third picture is a representation of the “Golden ratio”. The eye goes from the trees to the old rusty wheel from a antique wagon. This picture was taken from an open lot on the side of a country road here in Wisconsin. The wagon was hidden behind some brush and I didn’t even notice it until I started looking around the area through my camera lens. I really enjoyed this assignment. I drive a lot for my job and now when I drive I am always looking for shots that will express composition and color as well as tell a story. It is so much fun to see the world this way. Thank you.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Hi Tammy,

Thanks for sending in another assignment. I like that you’ve used implied lines here. You’ve also tried to use a frame within a frame.

Here are a couple great example examples of the frame within a frame:

[attachment=3:2ywekuma]example-frame-within-frame.jpg[/attachment:2ywekuma]
    photo by ‘us army

[attachment=2:2ywekuma]example-frame-within-frame-snake.jpg[/attachment:2ywekuma]
    photo by theperksofbeing_alyssa

What’s interesting is that the extra frame actually improves the image. That’s really the only time it’s appropriate to use that technique.

In your image I like the how there is a distinctly diagonal feel to it but the frame is so dark I can’t tell what it is. I’m assuming it’s trees.

In any case I think you get the idea. I like that you are trying new things and that’s great. Just make sure what you include in the frame adds to it.

There really shouldn’t be anything extraneous in the frame that isn’t adding to it.

For the soldier’s tombstone I think you’ve done a nice job here.

You have certainly drawn my eye in and that’s very very good. Overall on this one I’d like you to harken back to assignment one.

Remember to be asking yourself, how can I make this more interesting?!

For example you could get VERY close like this:
    [attachment=1:2ywekuma]tombstone-closeup.jpg[/attachment:2ywekuma]
    photo by spiritual_marketplace

Or get much farther away like this:
    [attachment=0:2ywekuma]rows-of-tombstones.jpg[/attachment:2ywekuma]
    photo by gnas

In both cases you are not only simplifying your world but you’re also making it inherently more interesting by making a choice about where to position yourself and what to include/exclude from the frame.

99% of photos are taken by someone holding the camera at eye level and clicking away.

You can differentiate yourself easily by just changing that up.

I enjoy hearing that you are now “seeing” better. You will develop this skill overtime and you will find yourself literally jumping up and down with excitement when certain lighting situations occur.

The fact that you drive for work is great! Carry all of your camera gear with you at all times! Even if you’re just going down the street.

Nice work Tammy!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.