Filters

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Kathryn
    Participant

I bought a Polarizer filter & love the way it makes the sky a darker blue and the lights shinning in the water are a darker shade. This was taken just before sunset. I took one with out the filter & it was not as dramatic in color.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Wonderful photograph.

I’m not sure if you’re doing this intentionally or not, but I’m noticing that you’re incorporating triangles and diagonal lines into your photographs. This is a secret of many photographers. It turns out that diagonal or “leading lines” help guide the viewers eye into the photograph. From a composition standpoint the triangular shapes that the diagonals create also seem to be desired by audiences.

In this photograph you’ve done a great job with capturing the beauty of the natural lighting. The polarizing filter helps greatly with the dramatization of the sky. Otherwise the sky will often appear washed out.

There are 2 things I want you to keep an eye out for.

1. You’ll notice off to the left hand side you’ve cut off the majority of a building. Remember to pay extra close attention to the 4 walls of your photograph. This crop looks accidental and adds a distracting element to you photograph. Either take it out completely (you can even do this in post production if you wish) or bring the entire object in.
    2. Secondly, you’re great with leading the eye into the picture. However, try to find an object that the viewers eye can rest on after it’s entered into the photograph. The reflection in the water is a possible main area of interest, but think about objects which may be more obvious or pronounced. It’s not mandatory, and this shot looks nice as is, but it does help with the overall ease and enjoyment of looking at photographs.

Another great job!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.