Finding Depth and Motion assignment

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Tiffany
    Participant

I just realized that I had never submitted this from the Fall.

Here is a photo of a train in motion and a flower in a shallow depth of field.
    [attachment=1:3i571mz2]Harpers Ferry-14.jpg[/attachment:3i571mz2]
    [attachment=0:3i571mz2]Naturewalk-3.jpg[/attachment:3i571mz2]

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

You’ve achieved a both of the requirements for these photos.

You have found how to shoot motion and depth.

Now your image of the train going past toom me a minute to figure out. I didn’t even see that it was a train at first actually. I was like where is the motion?!

Now that said you’ve understood the underlying goal of the assignment. It looks like you’ve shot this about about 1/6 shutter which is about right. The problem here is twofold. There is quite a bit of light for the shutter to be open that long and when the shutter is open that long you have to either use a tripod or be a rock solid shooter to avoid camera shake. Notice how the image is blown out a bit on the train? Also note how the whole image is slightly blurry? That’s most likely camera shake. The best solution is a tripod in this case.

In your image of the flower you have achieved shallow depth of field but the vibrance and saturation are very strong. I reduced them a little here and you’ll see it’s a much softer and pleasing image.

[attachment=0:2i4phlzy]Naturewalk-3-edited.jpg[/attachment:2i4phlzy]

Try reducing your ISO a little here and look and change your camera to manual white balance.

Don’t forget to remove things from the frame that don’t add value. Take a look at the spot in the lower left of the frame….

Nice job here!

😀

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.