Finding Depth and motion

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Dominic
    Participant

Hi, here are my submissions for the third assignment. Also I need some help regarding which computer to choose. I understand that mac’s are better for photography but why and how much better? Thanks for some very helpful critique on the last two assignments.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Great work!

Both of these shots show the technical implications of what was asked in this assignment. Let me begin by looking at your first bird photograph.

For starters, you’ve done a great job of shrinking the depth of field to help highlight the bird. That was the main point of this assignment. By making your depth of field shallower you’ve helped further identify the bird as your primary object. Furthermore, you haven’t gotten rid of all background detail, which still provides important context for your viewers. Your viewers can still see that the bird is located outdoors and there is snow in the area.

My only criticism for this picture is that you’ve amputated the bird’s legs at an awkward spot. Generally speaking human and animal “joints” are bad spots to cut a photograph off. In this case you’ve cut the photograph off on the bird’s knee joint. Try either including more of the legs (preferably the entire legs to avoid amputation altogether), but if you do need to cut it off, then try moving up a bit so you don’t cut on the joint. Try cutting on their upper leg.

The same goes for humans as well. Try not to cut on their ankles, knees, waist, wrists or neck. Cutting at these places can result in awkward photographs.

Your second shot is spectacular. It’s such a difficult shot to get. Usually there is at least some blurring of your primary object as you try and create the illusion of motion. However, I’ve examined this picture thoroughly and you’ve managed to create a very crisp picture. This is not an easy task. Great job!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.